Thursday, November 18, 2010

Oak Leaf Book




I was inspired by Laura Martin's comment on facebook on My Thanksgiving Leaf Fan Book made from grocery bags wondering about using real leaves. I used acorn tops, beads, a piece of chestnut leaf stem, and wire for the binding and wrote a quote about gratitude on each page. I think the book would last longer if I had pressed the leaves between wax paper but I was too impatient.

Gathering the leaves on my walk today was an interesting experience. I was standing on the sidewalk getting ready to bend down to add another leaf to my small collection when a man with a rake came up to me and said, What are you doing?" followed by "Leave my trash alone." I stood and stared at him waiting for him to smile or laugh. But he seemed to be seriously concerned about my taking his leaves. As my father used to say when I expressed an idea or opinion he thought was ridiculous, "What!?!" So I tossed the leaves to the wind and found a new collection to pick from a little way down the street.

Here are the quotes which I found online:
We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. Thornton Wilder

If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, 'thank you,' that would suffice. Meister Eckhart

I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. G.K. Chesterton

Gratitude is the memory of the heart. Jean Baptiste Massieu,

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I was thinking that I would try to make a maple leaf book! Now I know that it would be workable!
Glad this was shared!
Patricia
http://pmpoetwriter.blogspot.com/

Books for Walls Project (The Four of Us) said...

Lovely! Did you iron the leaves or wax them? We tried to write on leaves, but they were pretty crinkly and brittle...

I think we will try some version of this for the Thanksgiving table!

Susan Kapuscinski Gaylord said...

I didn't iron or wax the leaves. I tried to find ones that still had some shine and life. I had thought about waxing but was impatient. I used a small brush marker from Japan and also experimented with sharpie markers which worked well. The fine point was better than the ultra fine which was more likely to tear and poke through if I pressed the least bit too much. A real light touch is helpful. I'm assuming the sharpie wouldn't have any trouble writing on a waxed surface. A couple of days later they are getting a little brittle and kind of wavy but that makes them look more sculptural.

alexa said...

Great!! you did a great job!! love the acorn.

Victoria Suzanne said...

I recently coated leaves with PVA glue in an effort to perserve them. It worked, to a point, leaving them flexible and shiny. They did, however, curl a little and lost some of the vibrant color. Oak leaves were the best. I had better color results with pressing between sheets of wax paper even though they were not quite as flexible. Nothing, however, can capture the beauty of a freshly fallen leaf. Happy Autumn! (My favorite time of the year.)