Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Book Arts Tuesday/Asian Books

Since the beginning of my interest in bookmaking, I have been drawn to the books of Asia. I love the range of materials from paper to palm leaves and the simplicity of the structures. I have a small collection grown from occasional shop purchases and the kindness of traveling friends who have sought out books for me. Although my teaching is very much about books as vehicles for content, I also have a deep love of books as objects. These images are a tribute to that love.



The top image was made from a book that Marie Oedel purchased in Bhutan.


The second from a palm leaf book I purchased in Great Barrington, MA at Barong Imports.

1 comment:

Samantha Eynon said...

These look really special. I really want to get more into book making, have done only very simple things so far